Yesterday, Today, and Forever

This is the story of my life and I write it everyday I know it isn't black and white and it's anything but gray

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Growing Up

So I got a call from my friend Randy today. He said he was headed up I-75. I asked where he was going and he said "my job in Las Vegas." I knew he had a job in Vegas, but I didn't think he was leaving til the end of the month. So I was a little bummed I didn't get to see him again before he left.

Then I started thinking about how almost everyone around me seems so much more grown up than I am. Bill up and moved to Virginia to manage a CVS up there. Kelly and John are moving to Atlanta so John can go to Emory's law school and Kelly can do her grad school thing while teaching. Vanessa is still working at Gulf Power at least for the summer and then she's applying to grad school for her MBA. Matt is working hard (as far as I know since I haven't heard from him recently). And well, of course Joe works his 50 hours a week.

And in the meantime, I feel like I am doing absolutely nothing with my life. Sure, I will have my master's degree before any of my friends, but what does that mean? It means I'm more in debt and still don't totally know what I want to do. I'm seriously looking at doing my PhD in Epi, but who would take a student with no Epi experience?

Anyways, I feel like I should run around Disney World or something and really feel like a kid.

Here in this diary, I write you visions of my summer.
It was the best I ever had.
There were choruses and sing-alongs,
And that unspoken feeling of knowing
Right now is all that matters
All the nights we stayed up talking
and listening to 80's songs;
quoting lines from all those movies that we love.
It still brings a smile to my face.
I guess when it comes down to it...
Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up:
These are the best days of our lives.
The only thing that matters
is just following your heart
and eventually you'll finally get it right.
Breaking into hotel swimming pools,
and wreaking havoc on our world.
Hanging out at truck stops just to pass the time.
The black top's singing me to sleep.
Lighting fireworks in parking lots,
illuminate the blackest nights.
Cherry cokes under this moonlight summer sky.
2015 Riverside, it's time to say, "goodbye."
Get on the bus, it's time to go.
Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up:
These are the best days of our lives.
The only thing that mattersis just following your heart,
and eventually you'll finally get it right.
-The Ataris "In This Diary"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home