The Meeting
So I finally had my meeting with McDermott about my Germany course grade. He basically said the paper sucked, which I agreed with, but everything he cited was something I told my group members to change. He also couldn't give me a good reason why I lost 5 points on my participation grade, only that the participation grade is how he differentiates between those who fully participated, mostly participated, and partially participated. So I guess my next step is to take it to the Dept Chair, whom I don't know but I've heard is very fair and hates McD. So maybe that will pay off. If not, I have 2 more people to see.
What made me so mad about the meeting however was that he pretended to be my friend thru the whole thing. He kept saying "this won't change your life" and then said that he would write me a fantastic letter of recommendation that had nothing to do with the course grade. He also told me that he understood how I was feeling, that he always hated group projects, but he always assigns them in his courses (so he's SADISTIC!). He said he "hoped my life went better." What a prick.
So that reminds me of a quote from the movie Center Stage. I think it sums up how I feel about the meeting perfectly:
Eva: What a prick.
Jody: But he was really nice about it.
Eva: Being nice when you say something pricky is even prickier.
What made me so mad about the meeting however was that he pretended to be my friend thru the whole thing. He kept saying "this won't change your life" and then said that he would write me a fantastic letter of recommendation that had nothing to do with the course grade. He also told me that he understood how I was feeling, that he always hated group projects, but he always assigns them in his courses (so he's SADISTIC!). He said he "hoped my life went better." What a prick.
So that reminds me of a quote from the movie Center Stage. I think it sums up how I feel about the meeting perfectly:
Eva: What a prick.
Jody: But he was really nice about it.
Eva: Being nice when you say something pricky is even prickier.

1 Comments:
At 5:26 PM,
Vanessa said…
Quite unfortunate. It sounds like he allowed this meeting to take place to make himself come off as a sympathetic, listening professor when he had already made up his mind not to change the grade. Good luck with the Dept Chair.
Post a Comment
<< Home