Another weekend
So it's been another weekend with not much to do. Aside from my Zumba class on Saturday (Nakreisha is the best instructor ever!) and church on Sunday (which was sort of a comedy), I had nowhere else to be at a certain time. And this is even a long weekend since I didn't have to go to work today. So what have I done all weekend? Just read on!
Friday after work, I went to the Q&A session over in St. Pete. We talked with the Student Council President and VP, both rising 3PDs. They shared a lot of great advice with us, including waiting til orientation to buy books bc 2PDs will tell us which ones we really need and which ones we don't, only needing to buy 1 polo shirt since we only need it at most once a week (and after the 1st year, I will burn it), and needing to buy a reliable printer and lots of ink since all our notes will be on powerpoint. That and lots more. After this, I rode around sort of looking at apartments and getting a feel for the area they were in. I wasn't all that impressed, so I will need to do more looking.
Saturday I went to Zumba and then Joe brought over the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe movie to watch since I had just finished the book. The movie is beautiful, but there were artistic licenses taken of course. Some additions, deletions, and changes were made to the story, but there weren't all that many of those. Overall, well done, but there was still room for improvement.
Sunday was church in the morning. I was the worship leader and we had a guest preacher. He was an academic (translation: BORING). The mic wasn't on when I did the welcome but figured out how to turn it on before I had to do the opening prayer. Thank goodness I have a strong voice and can project! But the choir director is gone for the summer, as is the choir. And somehow there was not a single choir member in the congregation. So the music was quite weak. When we sang "Shout to the Lord" I felt like I was singing a solo. In fact, an older woman came up to me after the service and said "Thank goodness you knew that song because none of the rest of us did!" She was sitting about 5 rows behind me, so I pretty much did sing a solo. The rest of the day was catching up on the finales of shows (Desp Housewives and 24) and then watching 40 year old virgin.
And today has been just grocery shopping and lounging around. I think I might go swimming later this afternoon. Haven't done that in a while.
I'll leave you with a poem that I absolutely love. Jerry, the pastor at my parents' church, uses this in a prayer every Sunday. I think it's pretty powerful stuff. (Just to clarify: I'm not sure where the line breaks are, so these are my thoughts as to where the breaks should go)
On the edge of war, one foot already in,
I no longer pray for peace: I pray for miracles.
I pray that stone hearts will turn to tenderheartedness,
and evil intentions will turn to mercifulness,
and all the soldiers already deployed will be snatched out of harm's way,
and the whole world will be astounded onto its knees.
I pray that all the "God talk" will take bones,
and stand up and shed its cloak of faithlessness,
and walk again in its powerful truth.
I pray that the whole world might sit down together
and share its bread and its wine.
Some say there is no hope,
but then I've always applauded the holy fools
who never seem to give up on the scandalousness of our faith:
that we are loved by God......that we can truly love one another.
I no longer pray for peace: I pray for miracles.
-Ann Weems, March 5,2003 I NO LONGER PRAY FOR PEACE
Friday after work, I went to the Q&A session over in St. Pete. We talked with the Student Council President and VP, both rising 3PDs. They shared a lot of great advice with us, including waiting til orientation to buy books bc 2PDs will tell us which ones we really need and which ones we don't, only needing to buy 1 polo shirt since we only need it at most once a week (and after the 1st year, I will burn it), and needing to buy a reliable printer and lots of ink since all our notes will be on powerpoint. That and lots more. After this, I rode around sort of looking at apartments and getting a feel for the area they were in. I wasn't all that impressed, so I will need to do more looking.
Saturday I went to Zumba and then Joe brought over the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe movie to watch since I had just finished the book. The movie is beautiful, but there were artistic licenses taken of course. Some additions, deletions, and changes were made to the story, but there weren't all that many of those. Overall, well done, but there was still room for improvement.
Sunday was church in the morning. I was the worship leader and we had a guest preacher. He was an academic (translation: BORING). The mic wasn't on when I did the welcome but figured out how to turn it on before I had to do the opening prayer. Thank goodness I have a strong voice and can project! But the choir director is gone for the summer, as is the choir. And somehow there was not a single choir member in the congregation. So the music was quite weak. When we sang "Shout to the Lord" I felt like I was singing a solo. In fact, an older woman came up to me after the service and said "Thank goodness you knew that song because none of the rest of us did!" She was sitting about 5 rows behind me, so I pretty much did sing a solo. The rest of the day was catching up on the finales of shows (Desp Housewives and 24) and then watching 40 year old virgin.
And today has been just grocery shopping and lounging around. I think I might go swimming later this afternoon. Haven't done that in a while.
I'll leave you with a poem that I absolutely love. Jerry, the pastor at my parents' church, uses this in a prayer every Sunday. I think it's pretty powerful stuff. (Just to clarify: I'm not sure where the line breaks are, so these are my thoughts as to where the breaks should go)
On the edge of war, one foot already in,
I no longer pray for peace: I pray for miracles.
I pray that stone hearts will turn to tenderheartedness,
and evil intentions will turn to mercifulness,
and all the soldiers already deployed will be snatched out of harm's way,
and the whole world will be astounded onto its knees.
I pray that all the "God talk" will take bones,
and stand up and shed its cloak of faithlessness,
and walk again in its powerful truth.
I pray that the whole world might sit down together
and share its bread and its wine.
Some say there is no hope,
but then I've always applauded the holy fools
who never seem to give up on the scandalousness of our faith:
that we are loved by God......that we can truly love one another.
I no longer pray for peace: I pray for miracles.
-Ann Weems, March 5,2003 I NO LONGER PRAY FOR PEACE

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home