Yesterday, Today, and Forever

This is the story of my life and I write it everyday I know it isn't black and white and it's anything but gray

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Karma

Happy 200th post to the blog! Amazing that it's been that many. So here's the themed post I promised a week ago.

"Karmically I seek retribution." -Darren Hayes
"Mama told me be careful who you do cuz Karma comes back around." -Usher
"I believe in Karma, what you give is what you get returned." -Savage Garden

I find the notion of Karma very appealing. In fact, I think it appeals to our very human nature. The idea that someone gets what's coming to them, at some point, even in the distant future, is in a way, very satisfying. Every time we are wronged by someone, the assurance that they will in some way be repaid is gratifying.

A couple weeks ago I was at a party and heard the song "Lesson in Leavin" by Jo Dee Messina. I personally love Jo Dee Messina's songs, mostly because she's just kick ass. But that day, this song in particular hit me. The chorus says "Somebody's gonna give you a lesson in leavin somebody/gonna give you back what you've been given/and I hope that I'm around/to watch them knock you down..." Isn't that just perfect? A third party dishing out the pain that others have received at the hands of the person. And I think all of us have felt this way at some point: we've been so hurt that all we want is that person to feel it too. Oh, that reminds me of another country song: "Would you cry a little, and die just a little, pretend that you're feeling a little more pain" -Faith Hill.

I don't think religions contradict this thinking very much. The very notion of Karma is central to several Eastern religions, including Buddhism, Hinduism, and Sikhism. For these religions, Karma is defined as the cycle of cause and effect: all the past actions lead to future experiences (Thank you wikipedia). While Christianity teaches us to turn the other cheek when someone wrongs us, there is still the notion of judgment after death. It seems to me that Christians take comfort in this idea. We might not be able to fight back, but they have to meet their Maker and stand accountable for everything they did. And that seems comforting.

So I guess we should all check our Karma and work to get it to a positive state. And definitely don't break up with someone with the line "I might die" because you could come pretty close. :)

1 Comments:

  • At 9:59 AM, Blogger Vanessa said…

    Congratulations on 200 posts! A great milestone, indeed.

    I am also intrigued by the idea of karma. I've come to believe strongly in it. There's just so much that happens that makes you think that past actions are intricately connected to future events. Some (like ex's) are punished for their wrongdoing. Others are rewarded for their good deeds. Balance to the Force, so to speak.

    What a great idea for a research paper.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home