Another week
So it's been a busy week. I started working at the VA, and not to my surprise, there's a lot of bureaucracy involved with this federally-run hospital. But after 3 days of training and one day of observing a program that I will help coordinate, and now one day of being in the office, I think it will be ok. We'll see as the semester gets busier though. So far so good, and I'll get my first paycheck in a week and a half!
This Wednesday I'm going to a reception for admitted Tulane students in the Tampa area. I went to this last spring and it was lots of fun. I think this one will take a little bit different tone though. I'm sure I'll get the million questions about whether the school will be open or not. I guess my answer will be "I certainly hope so."
Oh, and I have to say congrats to my DAWGS who eeked out a win over Spurrier (boo...hiss) and the Gamecocks. But I think the Tampa Bay Bulldog Club put it best: "D.J. Shockley looked like he was channeling Quincy Carter and at times the defense played like Miss Kitty's Charm School for Girls. " That's just great. We better buck up or we're gonna get embarrassed by someone like Miss St. Oh, and watching it on the big screen in HD didn't make it any prettier.
Last week, I got the good news from the head of the CFH dept that she was going to write a letter to the Assoc. Dean for Academic Affairs on my behalf saying the grading scheme for the Germany class was bull shit (my words, not hers). But it's good to know that I have that going for me. But the Germany party went ok. I avoided McDevil (as Joe likes to call him) for the most part and dealt fairly well with his off color comments. There really are some things a professor should not say to a student at any time, and he perpetually crosses that line. So glad I don't have him in class.
Long story, but I have now abandoned my former radio morning show. The head DJ really pissed me off, so I am listening to music on my way to work every morning now. And I've been a lot calmer when I get to work than I was when I was listening to their nonstop bull shit. So the last week and a half it's been Indigo Girls. I might have posted these lyrics before, but I don't remember. Enjoy them anyway.
I'm trying to tell you something about my life
Maybe give me insight between black and white
The best thing you've ever done for me
Is to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life after all
Well darkness has a hunger that's insatiable
And lightness has a call that's hard to hear
I wrap my fear around me like a blanket
I sailed my ship of safety till I sank it,
I'm crawling on your shore.
I went to the doctor, I went to the mountains
I looked to the children, I drank from the fountain
There's more than one answer to these questions pointing me in a crooked line
The less I seek my source for some definitive
The closer I am to fine.
I went to see the doctor of philosophy
With a poster of Rasputin and a beard down to his knee
He never did marry or see a B-grade movie
He graded my performance, he said he could see through me
I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind, got my paper
And I was free.
I stopped by the bar at 3 a.m.
To seek solace in a bottle or possibly a friend
I woke up with a headache like my head against a board
Twice as cloudy as I'd been the night before
I went in seeking clarity.
I went to the doctor, I went to the mountains
I looked to the children, I drank from the fountain
There's more than one answer to these questionspointing me in crooked line
The less I seek my source for some definitive
The closer I am to fine.
We go to the bible, we go through the workout
We read up on revival and we stand up for the lookout
There's more than one answer to these questions
pointing me in a crooked line
The less I seek my source for some definitive
The closer I am to fine
-Indigo Girls "Closer to Fine"
This Wednesday I'm going to a reception for admitted Tulane students in the Tampa area. I went to this last spring and it was lots of fun. I think this one will take a little bit different tone though. I'm sure I'll get the million questions about whether the school will be open or not. I guess my answer will be "I certainly hope so."
Oh, and I have to say congrats to my DAWGS who eeked out a win over Spurrier (boo...hiss) and the Gamecocks. But I think the Tampa Bay Bulldog Club put it best: "D.J. Shockley looked like he was channeling Quincy Carter and at times the defense played like Miss Kitty's Charm School for Girls. " That's just great. We better buck up or we're gonna get embarrassed by someone like Miss St. Oh, and watching it on the big screen in HD didn't make it any prettier.
Last week, I got the good news from the head of the CFH dept that she was going to write a letter to the Assoc. Dean for Academic Affairs on my behalf saying the grading scheme for the Germany class was bull shit (my words, not hers). But it's good to know that I have that going for me. But the Germany party went ok. I avoided McDevil (as Joe likes to call him) for the most part and dealt fairly well with his off color comments. There really are some things a professor should not say to a student at any time, and he perpetually crosses that line. So glad I don't have him in class.
Long story, but I have now abandoned my former radio morning show. The head DJ really pissed me off, so I am listening to music on my way to work every morning now. And I've been a lot calmer when I get to work than I was when I was listening to their nonstop bull shit. So the last week and a half it's been Indigo Girls. I might have posted these lyrics before, but I don't remember. Enjoy them anyway.
I'm trying to tell you something about my life
Maybe give me insight between black and white
The best thing you've ever done for me
Is to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life after all
Well darkness has a hunger that's insatiable
And lightness has a call that's hard to hear
I wrap my fear around me like a blanket
I sailed my ship of safety till I sank it,
I'm crawling on your shore.
I went to the doctor, I went to the mountains
I looked to the children, I drank from the fountain
There's more than one answer to these questions pointing me in a crooked line
The less I seek my source for some definitive
The closer I am to fine.
I went to see the doctor of philosophy
With a poster of Rasputin and a beard down to his knee
He never did marry or see a B-grade movie
He graded my performance, he said he could see through me
I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind, got my paper
And I was free.
I stopped by the bar at 3 a.m.
To seek solace in a bottle or possibly a friend
I woke up with a headache like my head against a board
Twice as cloudy as I'd been the night before
I went in seeking clarity.
I went to the doctor, I went to the mountains
I looked to the children, I drank from the fountain
There's more than one answer to these questionspointing me in crooked line
The less I seek my source for some definitive
The closer I am to fine.
We go to the bible, we go through the workout
We read up on revival and we stand up for the lookout
There's more than one answer to these questions
pointing me in a crooked line
The less I seek my source for some definitive
The closer I am to fine
-Indigo Girls "Closer to Fine"

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home