A week after
First of all, I apologize for not posting in a week. The impact of Katrina has deeply affected me, and I think yesterday was the first time I allowed myself to really cry (at church no less....I hate when I do that). It's been truly heartbreaking to see the city that I called home for 4 years of my life reduced to a swamp, or maybe more appropriately, a river/bay/lake. I have had the anxiety of worrying about Liz, who's an EMT in NOLA, since she called her father panicked and scared when her armed guard ditched her to join the looters. She has since found a safe place to work on the Westbank (hooray for the Wank). She had the option of getting out of town but decided to stay and continue her job. I don't know many people who would make that decision, and I most certainly would not. Maybe she's just a better person than I am.
I read an article on the NYTimes.com this morning talking about all the squabbling about who is to blame for the delayed response to all of this. I agree that this needs to be taken care of and that FEMA probably should be its own entity again and not part of the Dept of Homeland Security (the greatest hodgepodge of govt shit that exists), but could we PLEASE wait til we've at least evacuated the city??? I think that this action needs to be timely, but good Lord, there are still people wading in the water!
So other than being distraught over all this (and btw, I feel really bad for the people in Mississippi since the hurricane itself did more damage there and they're getting almost no news coverage), I am done with my first week of classes. I think they're all doable, but some are gonna require a lot of work. I guess I should expect that though since I am in a graduate level program. I start work tomorrow: 3 days of training and then 1 day of a course. So I have to BE THERE at either 7:45 or 7:30 every morning this week. What a rude awakening. Also, Joe's parents have been in town all weekend. It's always fun when they come down (not just because they take us out to eat either). Oh, and his brother let me watch the 2nd half of the Georgia game on the big screen TV in HD. GO DAWGS!!!
So I guess that's about it. I will hopefully update more regularly this week.
I read an article on the NYTimes.com this morning talking about all the squabbling about who is to blame for the delayed response to all of this. I agree that this needs to be taken care of and that FEMA probably should be its own entity again and not part of the Dept of Homeland Security (the greatest hodgepodge of govt shit that exists), but could we PLEASE wait til we've at least evacuated the city??? I think that this action needs to be timely, but good Lord, there are still people wading in the water!
So other than being distraught over all this (and btw, I feel really bad for the people in Mississippi since the hurricane itself did more damage there and they're getting almost no news coverage), I am done with my first week of classes. I think they're all doable, but some are gonna require a lot of work. I guess I should expect that though since I am in a graduate level program. I start work tomorrow: 3 days of training and then 1 day of a course. So I have to BE THERE at either 7:45 or 7:30 every morning this week. What a rude awakening. Also, Joe's parents have been in town all weekend. It's always fun when they come down (not just because they take us out to eat either). Oh, and his brother let me watch the 2nd half of the Georgia game on the big screen TV in HD. GO DAWGS!!!
So I guess that's about it. I will hopefully update more regularly this week.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home