Complain, Moan, and Gripe
So I've been told my blog is lonely. I will try to make it less lonely with this post.
The amount that people complain, especially publicly, amazes me. There are very few days that I log on to our course discussion boards where someone isn't complaining about something. Everything from quiz questions to not knowing how to study something to wanting to know EXACTLY what to study. When did higher education become a request to be spoon fed information and a breeding ground for complaints about every little thing that goes wrong?
I don't remember having that type of environment at Tulane. We just knew that we were responsible for the material covered; we didn't really have to ask every time "will this be on the exam" because the answer was yes unless told otherwise. I think it was common when I was doing the Master's at USF though. I can vividly remember in my Research Methods class people asking if we had to know certain equations and such. And now in pharmacy school, it's ridiculous. Constant questioning professors is so annoying. Does all this mean there's really a difference in the students and courses at private vs public schools?
Then of course, there's the straightforward complaining (bitching). I sometimes wonder if my fellow students have ever taken a second to think about the amount of time is put into preparing to teach a course. Now, I will say that some criticisms are valid and are a necessary part of the improvement process. This is why I am a student rep for my St Pete class. I have the task of weeding through all the complaints to see which ones are valid and which aren't and referring them to the appropriate people. But it is truly amazing to see how much these students are complaining. I wish I could somehow demonstrate it....
The amount that people complain, especially publicly, amazes me. There are very few days that I log on to our course discussion boards where someone isn't complaining about something. Everything from quiz questions to not knowing how to study something to wanting to know EXACTLY what to study. When did higher education become a request to be spoon fed information and a breeding ground for complaints about every little thing that goes wrong?
I don't remember having that type of environment at Tulane. We just knew that we were responsible for the material covered; we didn't really have to ask every time "will this be on the exam" because the answer was yes unless told otherwise. I think it was common when I was doing the Master's at USF though. I can vividly remember in my Research Methods class people asking if we had to know certain equations and such. And now in pharmacy school, it's ridiculous. Constant questioning professors is so annoying. Does all this mean there's really a difference in the students and courses at private vs public schools?
Then of course, there's the straightforward complaining (bitching). I sometimes wonder if my fellow students have ever taken a second to think about the amount of time is put into preparing to teach a course. Now, I will say that some criticisms are valid and are a necessary part of the improvement process. This is why I am a student rep for my St Pete class. I have the task of weeding through all the complaints to see which ones are valid and which aren't and referring them to the appropriate people. But it is truly amazing to see how much these students are complaining. I wish I could somehow demonstrate it....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home